Friday 2 May 2014

Create a patchwork quilt using large hexagons. Part 7

Creating Hexagon Pattern Combinations

Over the last few weeks I have spent time laying out covered hexagons on the floor.  I picked them up, moved them around, created patterns, and generally explored the infinite possibilities .  Its a wonderful adventure exploring how colours work together, how colours change when placed together.  

I cannot stress enough how important it is not to rush into sewing the hexagons together.   Just keep looking at them.   Squint your eyes to see if anything jumps out.    I was convinced that a line of grey hexagon down each side of the centre track would work.   I kept looking at it and after several days I realised it would be a dreadful mistake.   The centre red rosette looks painfully wrong.  Its to powerful and draws the eye immediately.  Both these plans were abandoned.







After much thought and deliberation I came to the point where I was confident that the pattern would work.  Take a look at the two images below to see my conclusion.   I laid the hexagons out on the bed to check for size and proceeded to hand sew the hexagons and rosettes together.   One red hexagon in the centre is just enough to draw attention without it shouting out at the room.  The cream rows either side of the centre panel looks softer than the grey.  A gentler easy on the eye look.  

Progress has been slow this month because my partner of 20 years proposed to me out of the blue.   Wedding preparations have somewhat overtaken the need to make the hexagon quilt.  We are hoping to marry in the next couple of weeks, so I am understandably distracted!






No comments: